    SubjectWhy do some net drivers require __OPTIMIZE__?

    I've been doing a bring up on an embedded kernel and to prevent gdb
    making me go google eyed I notched the optimization level down to -O0
    for the time being. This broke the natsemi network driver and I noticed
    this stanza appears in a few places:

    #if !defined(__OPTIMIZE__)
    #warning You must compile this file with the correct options!
    #warning See the last lines of the source file.
    #error You must compile this driver with "-O".

    Despite the comments I couldn't see an explanation at the bottom of the
    source file and a quick google showed a few patches where this was
    removed but no explanation.

    Does anybody know the history behind those lines? Do they serve any
    purpose now or in the past? Should I be nervous about compiling the
    kernel at a *lower* than normal optimization level? After all
    optimizations are generally processor specific and shouldn't affect the
    meaning of the C.

    Alex Bennee
    Senior Hacker, Braddahead Ltd
    The above is probably my personal opinion and may not be that of my

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.018 / U:214.528 seconds]