    SubjectWhy do some net drivers require __OPTIMIZE__?
    Hi,

    I've been doing a bring up on an embedded kernel and to prevent gdb
    making me go google eyed I notched the optimization level down to -O0
    for the time being. This broke the natsemi network driver and I noticed
    this stanza appears in a few places:

    #if !defined(__OPTIMIZE__)
    #warning You must compile this file with the correct options!
    #warning See the last lines of the source file.
    #error You must compile this driver with "-O".
    #endif

    Despite the comments I couldn't see an explanation at the bottom of the
    source file and a quick google showed a few patches where this was
    removed but no explanation.

    Does anybody know the history behind those lines? Do they serve any
    purpose now or in the past? Should I be nervous about compiling the
    kernel at a *lower* than normal optimization level? After all
    optimizations are generally processor specific and shouldn't affect the
    meaning of the C.

    --
    Alex Bennee
    Senior Hacker, Braddahead Ltd