SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
Mark Mielke wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:42:14PM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > This is very much like selling cars were the gas tank is locked, and
> > you don't have the key. The gas stations have keys, but only
> > some of them. So you can't fill anywhere.
> > Or a tv that don't work on thursdays. Silly in the extreme,
> > annoying for the user and no benefit for the manufacturer.
>
> Balderdash! It is like selling a car with free professional
> maintenance, but no manuals to allow you to repair your own car. :-)

You get free maintenance on your nvidia drivers? _Enough_ maintenance?

> It might be true that nVidia is actually limiting their market. Since
> that results in loss of money to nVidia, and not to you, it really isn't
> any of our call.

It is a loss to me too - I might want to use that hardware - _if_
they would release the specs at zero cost to them.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.305 / U:1.372 seconds]