SubjectRe: Gauntlet Set NOW!
Oh, that's nice!

Presumably you could substitute DCCP or whatever for TCP. I like it.

So how about this, the result of a corridor conversation at an IETF:

It is perfectly doable, using HIP and some (admittedly expensive) hardware
crypto gear to run iSCSI encrypted at Gigabit Ethernet rates and faster,
while being able to attach endpoints more or less at random in IP space and
move them around freely while connected. Mobile hotplug IP storage :-)

HIP is the Host Identity Payload, which can be seen as different things
depending on which features you like. The idea starts from distinguishing
the IP address, which basically represents a location in the net, from the
Host Identity, which is a public key that identifies an endpoint.

By some machinations, you end up being IP numbering and version agnostic,
while having an extremely lightweight opportunistic key exchange protocol.

There are several implementations and all the specs linked to at
http://www.hip4inter.net/, not presently including my own, which is purely
userspace (everything I have so far needed is provided by standard kernels,
except ESP and that is now in too), BSD licensed and written in Python and
which will be released soon, for some value of soon.

This is a less mature protocol than iSCSI at this point, but I think there
are some very interesting possibilities by combining the two.

Andrew

--On Saturday, January 04, 2003 21:31:39 -0800 Andre Hedrick
<andre@linux-ide.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Andrew McGregor wrote:
>
>> By the way, I'm principally a developer of communications standards and
>> hardware, not so much software.
>
> I forgot to mention the template model on each side of the iSCSI protocol
> state machine we have developed is agnostic?
>
> Initiator --- Transport --- Target --- Spindle
>
> TCP SCSI
> Quads ATA
> SCI SATA
> Myrinet MD
> InfiniBand LVM
> TELCO USB
> CARRIER 1394
> SAS
> Fibre Channel
>
> FLOPPY, for emergencies.
>
> Create Your Own Create Your Own
>
> Yeah, I am nutter than a fruitcake, but it works!
>
> This is for Larry McVoy, it is the closest thing you will ever see today
> which looks like a disk with an RJ-45 port.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.091 / U:1.096 seconds]