    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-freedrivers?
        Richard, you are missing the entire point, again. You must understand
    that we all love free software and its benefits, that is why we all
    strive to make the Linux kernel a success. The problem is not everything
    is open source and if a proprietary application is just as good why not
    use it instead of wasting the time and effort of to create a clone?

    The benefit of free software that I value is freedom to share the
    software, freedom to change it, freedom to cooperate with others in
    developing it. That's why, for me, the success of any particular kernel
    is not the most important thing--and why writing a free clone of
    a non-free program or system is hardly a waste.

    Developing programs does not "cost money"--that is just one way to do
    it. But sometimes a person is in a position where he can develop a
    certain program only if he makes it non-free to raise money. If you
    are in such a position, unless you are going to make the program free
    software soon after, then the best thing you can do is not develop it
    at all. Someone else will develop a free program to do the job.
    Freedom is worth the wait.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:75.024 seconds]