SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in non-free drivers?
Date
    In the *mean time*, I need a practical response, and not a claim that
'in a more perfect world, such and such'. If binary-only modules are
illegal, then I lose the freedom to legally use Linux + ClearCase MVFS.

You would be unable to do that unless/until someone (perhaps you?)
wrote a free implementation of MVFS for Linux.

Whether you can use GNU/Linux with ClearCase's non-free MVFS
implementation is not terribly important for our community. I would
not base my decisions on that factor. It is not worth changing a
license on a program just so that a small segment of computer users
might use a program *today* rather than waiting.

Enabling you and others to access MVFS with free software is the right
solution. It may take longer, but it really solves the problem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.196 / U:1.252 seconds]