SubjectRe: Honest does not pay here ...
On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 15:29, Andre Hedrick wrote:
> Now that you have clearly stated you are revoking usage of your work
> except for GPL-ONLY.
>
> Please list the files and functions you claim, under this decision.
> If you are the sole copyright holder of a file it is clean and clear.
> If you are not then you have a problem to settle with the joint owners.
> I will ignore your claim on shared copyrights until you have a settlement,
> if all persons holding copyright ownership agree with you then ...
>
> How soon will there be a patch-war for everyone to stake a claim, and
> screw the pooch ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> LAD Storage Consulting Group

I am ardent supporter of the GPL. I do have some problems with what
some people are doing (particularly Nvidia, namely because I believe if
I pay for hardware, I pay for the right to use it and to have the specs
on how to use it... i.e. they don't release programming info). However,
Linus has allowed for binary only modules.

All said and done, while I wish that all modules were GPLed, where Andre
and others do eventually release their code as GPL after development is
paid for... I can't fault them. More power to them for doing
sustainable development (Because people won't help cover development
costs without this kind of model) and in 18 months or so (From driver
creation) more power to us because they give it away under the GPL.

Now, if it is clear they are making derivitive works, this may be a
problem. Since I have little idea about if they are, I will leave this
to those that do.

Thank you for what you do do Andre, thank you to all who do things in a
decent way, whether that is GPL from the beginning (Those who can) or
those who delay the GPL until they can afford to do it.

Trever
--
"Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel."
-- Unknown