    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    Richard Stallman <> writes:

    >to contribute to free software. We are fortunate that Netscape, Sun,
    >and IBM, and the people who won their partial cooperation, did not
    >take your advice.

    Funny you mention IBM here. I was always under the impression, that
    the IBM Open Source effort is mainly there to sell more boxes (which
    are well supported by the "good guys' operating system" because they
    offer and support open source GPL drivers.

    And then run their applications on it, which are not, I repeat, _NOT_
    open sourced or free.

    So they give away a few drivers which doesn't earn any money anyway,
    get lots of good publicity and community support for free and also put
    a foot in the back of a company which they don't like but have to
    license/support their OS anyway (Microsoft).

    To my (and obviously to the clued people inside IBM) this sounds

    You can do this if you're IBM.

    Any before you ask why I wrote this: To me, by calling IBM "the good
    guys", you're activly promoting their non-free, close-sourced
    applications running on top of Linux (and their hardware).

    "Stallman called IBM the good guys. Buy their Websphere application
    suite running on Linux on eSeries Hardware. Film at 11".

    They're not an open source company. Neither are Sun (which also sells
    Hardware and applications; ironically their iPlanet stuff comes from
    Netscape) or Netscape (their Applications are now called "iPlanet" and
    come from Sun =:-) and with open sourcing their browser they didn't
    give away anything; they already lost the browser wars to Microsoft
    and noone could read their code anyway).

    But all three sucked you into saying "IBM, Sun and Netscape
    contributed to free software". But you don't understand their
    motive. Which is money. And the stuff that earns the money wasn't open
    sourced at all.

    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH

    Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.022 / U:50.128 seconds]