SubjectRe: Kernel module version support.
Date
In message <957BD1C2BF3CD411B6C500A0C944CA2601F11711@pdsmsx32.pd.intel.com> you
write:
> Hi, Rusty

> There is a example that could explain why I want the module structure's
> pointer.

> If we want to place kernel probes on all PIO instrcutions of a
> device driver for debuging purpose, only knowing symbol's address is
> not enough. We need the base address of .text section. How do you
> think about this example ?

I don't know where the .text section is anymore, once the module is
loaded. And just the .text section might not be enough on some archs.

I think it would be cleaner to have a userspace program which parses
the module, figures out how it is laid out in memory (this will be
arch specific!) and then (using the base address from /proc/modules)
tells the kernel "insert a probe at address 0xc1234567". This should
be far more flexible, I think.

Thoughts?
Rusty.