    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    At 08:06 PM 1/2/2003 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
    >On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:32:30PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
    > > But we could make do with even less cooperation than that. If they
    > > just provide the necessary specs to a person who wants to extend the
    > > free drivers that exist, that would be sufficient.
    >Yeah, if only the company that has invested millions in trying to scratch
    >out a place to stand, if only they would give us their intellectual
    >property for free, if only, why then we could steal that IP and give it
    >to other people. And it would take us less time to do it if they would
    >only cooperate. Why won't they cooperate?
    >How dare they not give of the fruits of their labors for free.

    You're just saying that to justify your evil BK license ;-)
    </yank> (hey, somebody was _gonna_ do it)

    Seriously though, just what is it that graphic CPU makers are
    protecting? I can't imagine "how to program our spiffy CPU'" docs exposing
    anything important to their competition. Imagine Intel or AMD trying that
    tactic for _their_ next CPU. What makes graphics CPUs so special?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.020 / U:6.924 seconds]