    SubjectRe: Why is Nvidia given GPL'd code to use in closed source drivers?
    On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Mike Galbraith wrote:

    | At 08:06 PM 1/2/2003 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
    | >On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:32:30PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
    | > > But we could make do with even less cooperation than that. If they
    | > > just provide the necessary specs to a person who wants to extend the
    | > > free drivers that exist, that would be sufficient.
    | >
    | >Yeah, if only the company that has invested millions in trying to scratch
    | >out a place to stand, if only they would give us their intellectual
    | >property for free, if only, why then we could steal that IP and give it
    | >to other people. And it would take us less time to do it if they would
    | >only cooperate. Why won't they cooperate?
    | >
    | >How dare they not give of the fruits of their labors for free.
    | <yank>
    | You're just saying that to justify your evil BK license ;-)
    | </yank> (hey, somebody was _gonna_ do it)
    | Seriously though, just what is it that graphic CPU makers are
    | protecting? I can't imagine "how to program our spiffy CPU'" docs exposing
    | anything important to their competition. Imagine Intel or AMD trying that
    | tactic for _their_ next CPU. What makes graphics CPUs so special?

    Imagine them doing that for their current CPU.
    That's what Nvidia is doing, isn't it?

    At a LinuxWorld panel 2-3 years ago, Nicholas Petreley (sp?) chaired a
    group discussion about this. There were 2 competing sound chip
    manufacturers represented, and they denied any interest in each other's

    However, if one of them was well-documented, then someone could
    get info on their current product. Well, that _could_
    be a bad thing for company #2 and put company #2 on a road that was one
    generation later than the first company was now designing/building.
    So in one scenario it could end up as a negative for the "copying"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.020 / U:26.692 seconds]