SubjectRe: [patch 2.5] VGA IO on systems with multiple PCI IO domains

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:23:15PM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Disabling VGA dynamically depending on the machine have been a real pain
> > until now. With that change, it will now just be a matter for our PPC
> > implementation of pci_request_legacy_resource() to fail on machines
> > where VGA memory can't be reached.
>
> Here's updated version of yesterday's patch that makes this possible.
> - pci_request_legacy_resource() is supposed to return two error codes:
> -ENXIO (no such device or address), which must be treated as fatal;
> -EBUSY, returned by request_resource() in the case of resource conflict,
> like i386 case where the startup code reserves certain low memory regions
> including video memory. This error can be ignored for now (at least in the
> vgacon driver), because resource start/end fields are correctly adjusted
> anyway.
> - Fixed bug wrt adjusting static struct resource (thanks to Jeff for
> finding that). The vgacon can be started twice: early on startup and,
> if this fails because we assumed the wrong bus, after PCI init when we
> actually located the VGA card. However, static VGA resources are already
> "fixed" after the first try, so the second attempt fails as well.
> - Make no_vga case to release VGA resources.

As a small note I really like to move vagcon.c to start to use the inline
functions in include/video/vga.h. I have provisions to even use a specific
register base region. I like to combine it with your work.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.068 / U:0.756 seconds]