    SubjectRe: Bootscreen
    Hello there,

    On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Raphael Schmid wrote:

    > It is my very understanding one can not have, conveniently it should be,
    > a simple *bootscreen* under Linux. I don't *want* any simple picture, I
    > want as complex a picture as it gets.
    >
    > I realize these ideas may sound kind of alien to you, but they make sense.
    > Windows, MacOS all have bootscreens. There really is no way why Linux
    > shouldn't.

    There is a very simple reason why Linux shouldn't have a "bootscreen" -
    its a lame idea. We have copied enough of the bad "features" of Windows et
    al into Linux already, IMHO.

    FWIW, I usually remove the graphics from LILO/GRUB config as installed by
    default these days.

    Most of the machines I maintain are very seldom rebooted, but if someone
    was to do a reboot, I would want them to be able to observe any errors or
    other abnormal output from the boot-up process. A "bootscreen" makes it
    more likely that such an error message would be more likely to go
    unnoticed - and, if they became commonplace, may eventually result in
    developers making the on-boot output less verbose/informative/etc, on the
    basis that it isn't likely to be seen in the first place!

    The stuff you see on your screen when your Linux installation boots up
    weren't put there for no reason. Please lets leave them there!

    Robert Morris
    08707 458710
    http://www.r-morris.co.uk/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:4.244 / U:0.056 seconds]