    SubjectRe: [NFS] Re: NFS client locking hangs for period

    > statd(8) does indicate that /var/lib/nfs is private, so I just
    > mount it as tmpfs. Should I make it persistent, or is the fact
    > those files disappear on an unclean reboot a sign of trouble?

    If you want locking to work, then /var/lib/nfs *MUST* be
    persistent and unique for each client.

    If not then the server will fail to be notified that it needs to
    release any POSIX locks it might think you were holding if/when your
    NFS client fails to shutdown cleanly.
    That again will typically cause a deadlock the next time you try to
    access your mailspool (if the server thinks it is already holding a
    lock on your behalf).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.022 / U:2.820 seconds]