SubjectRe: Server down?
Date
> > The list server probably de-subscribed you.  Try re-subscribing.
>
> This is absolutely NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.

No, infact what you are suggesting is absolutely not what you should
do - the postmasters are already overworked, and don't need to be
troubled as a first resort.

Please, read the FAQ. If you wish to embarrase yourself on this
mailing list, that is up to you, but please do not make me look
stupid, AND THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT YOUR INCORRECT ADVICE.

The relevant section of the FAQ is:

Section 3, subsection 14

"I am not getting any mail anymore from the list! Is it down or
what?"

Note that there is NO problem with any of the original poster's
mailservers, they are all accessible, so it is not a case of mail
getting bounced from some of them.

The FAQ actually says, "Just resubscribe. Majordomo will get you a
nice note saying you're still subscribed if suddenly everybody went
dumb".

It also says, "Asking for help from postmaster@vger.kernel.org could
expedite the issue.", but common sense suggests that it's best to try
re-subscribing at least once before contacting the already overworked
postmasters.

> You should INSTEAD, send a mail to postmaster@vger.kernel.org
> asking why you were removed.

Only if you have persistant problems.

> People who continually keep resubscribing eventually get black
> listed. This means DO NOT DO IT. Ask why you are being removed
> so that the problems at your site can be fixed.
>
> When an address bounces, it puts a major burdon on both vger and
> the postmasters here.

Ask for the FAQ to be updated if it is wrong.

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.164 / U:0.332 seconds]