SubjectRe: NFS client locking hangs for period
On Friday January 24, kiko@async.com.br wrote:

> Hello Neil,

Hi.

> I've been trying to get at this problem for a while now, ....

> It seems to be reproducible by having the client hang or reboot without
> shutting down properly. Another tip is that the server gets files left
> over in /var/lib/nfs/sm/ for the hanging client(s).

> Mount options follow for the client filesystems:
>
> anthem:/export/root/ / nfs defaults,rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nfsvers=2 0 0
> anthem:/home /home nfs defaults,rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nfsvers=3 0 0

Hmmm. So you have several clients all mounting the same root
filesystem, and mounting it writable? That doesn't sound like a plan
for success. How do you make sure the clients don't tread over each
other when using /etc files?

I suspect that what you really want is to mount root read-only, or
mount separate roots for each client, and then in either case to mount
with the "nolock" flag.

I suspect that your problem is related to the client trying to do
locking, but no having statd running on the client.
You cannot meaningfully do locking on an NFS mounted root filesystem.
Infact, I think it would be good if the default mount options for nfs
root included nolock... and if I read fs/nfs/nfsroot.c:root_nfs_name
correctly, nolock is the default. Are you overriding that default
be explicitly setting "lock"??

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.066 / U:0.040 seconds]