SubjectRe: completely undiagnosable (for me) kernel boot problem
Date
On 23 January 2003 06:20, Sam Gendler wrote:
> the main one) fails. It successfully uncompresses vmlinuz and
> initrd.img, then clears the screen and displays the message
> "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel." and leaves a
> blinking cursor two lines below. Nothing ever happens subsequent to
> that.

Heh... you'll have to mess up with boot code. CCed to
DragonK <dragon_krome@yahoo.com> (he had similar 'no boot'
horror story, and was able to diagnose it).

> was complaining about a 2.88MB boot image. Also, the same symptoms
> occur whether I boot from the net or the CDR/DVD drive, so I don't
> think it is the device. I don't know how to go about finding out
> what is hanging the system, and I don't have a system available to me
> on which I can comple a custom kernel. This is the only machine I
> have, and it now has nothing but freeDOS on it.

Thats strange. How did you managed to try network boot without
a second system available to you? Did you tried to copy kernel
to DOS partition and load it with loadlin or linld?

http://www.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua/linux/vda/linld/

--
vda