Subjectdebate on 700 threads vs asynchronous code
Hi
I am discussing with a few people on different approaches to solving a scale problem I am having, and have gotten vastly different views

In a nutshell, as far as this debate is concerned, I can say I am writing a web server.

Now, to cater to 700 clients, I can
a) launch 700 threads that each block on I/O to disk and to the client (in reading and writing on the socket)

OR

b) Write an asycnhrounous system with only 2 or three threads where I manage the connections and stack (via setcontext swapcontext etc), which is progromatically a little harder

Which way will yeild me better performance, considerng both approaches are implemented optimally?

Thanks
Lee