SubjectRe: test suite?

> i've noticed references to "test suites" for kernels, but
> is there any one-step convenient way to select every possible
> option for test-compiling a new kernel, just to see if it builds?
> perhaps an "everything" option?
>
> and, related to that, should such a kernel theoretically
> work? as in, are there any options that would be mutually
> exclusive that would cause such a build to fail?
>
> still thinking about reorganizing the overall option structure,
> rday

The OSDL's patch lifecycle manager (http://www.osdl.org/cgi-bin/plm )
does something like this. It does a series of builds include a few that
select most every option. So you could toss the patch into PLM and look at
the results of those test compiles. In particular, the 'Desktop' config
turns on a ton of stuff ( and almost always fails ;)
We also do a 'regress' build, where we do 'make defconfig' and
'make allmodconfig' and count the errors.

I don't think we have any more detailed docs, but the test report does include
the .config files we run.
cliffw

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.058 / U:0.628 seconds]