lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2003]   [Jan]   [21]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
Subject[Problem] PCI resource conflicts in recent 2.4 kernels - second try
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the current kernel(s) to
behave like the earlier (pre 2.4.18-14) kernels? I've tried most of the
PCI kernel parameters without success, though only individually.

On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 10:12, Mace Moneta wrote:
> I'm running Redhat 8.0 on a docked Toshiba Tecra 730CDT (Pentium 150MHz,
> 80MB RAM), and recently tried to upgrade my kernel to one of their
> errata kernels. When I did, I got PCI resource conflicts, and the SCSI
> devices are unable to initialize. Partitions are not mounted, so the
> boot fails. I confirmed that the problem also occurs with the latest
> (2.4.21-pre3) vanilla kernel. Originally reported to Redhat:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=76159
>
> I was unable to find any similar report via google searches, but there
> are a couple of recent similar reports in the Redhat buzilla (bugs 78035
> and 76428).
>
> ===================
> Last Working kernel
> ===================
>
> 2.4.18-14 (Redhat)
>
> ===========
> Failed boot
> ===========
>
> Following copied by hand:
>
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 01:04.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 01:08.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 01:0c.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 1 of device 01:0c.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(0-fff) for 01:01.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(0-fff) for 01:01.1
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(0-7f) for 01:04.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(0-7) for 01:08.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 0(0-ff) for 01:0c.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 1(0-fff) for 01:0c.0
> Loading aic7xxx module
> PCI: Device 01:08.0 not available because of resource collisions
> PCI: Device 01:0c.0 not available because of resource collisions
> /lib/aic7xxx.o init_module
> Error: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
> Loading tmscsim module
> PCI: Device 01:04.0 not available because of resource collisions
> /lib/tmscsim.o init_module
> Error: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
>
> ====================
> Normal boot messages
> ====================
>
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd4ae, last bus=21
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
> Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
> Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
>
> ===========================================
> lspci -vvv on the (good) 2.4.18-14 kernel
> ===========================================
>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems 601 (rev 11)
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0, cache line size 08
>
> 00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 (rev 07)
> Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=14, subordinate=14, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 (rev 07)
> Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr-DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: Memory at 10001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=15, subordinate=15, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 00:03.0 ISA bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0606 (rev 02)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>
> 00:04.0 VGA compatible controller: Chips and Technologies F65550 (rev 05)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA])
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at fe000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
> Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]
>
> 00:06.0 PCI bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems: Unknown device 0605 (rev 04)
> (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=13, sec-latency=0
> I/O behind bridge: 00000000-00000fff
> Memory behind bridge: 00000000-000fffff
> Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000-000fffff
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
>
> 01:01.0 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to CardBus
> Bridge for Notebooks (rev 04)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at 10002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=01, secondary=12, subordinate=12, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 01:01.1 CardBus bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems ToPIC95 PCI to CardBus
> Bridge for Notebooks (rev 04)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at 10003000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=01, secondary=13, subordinate=13, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 01:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 53c974 [PCscsi]
> (rev 10)
> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+
> Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64 (1000ns min, 10000ns max)
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at ff80 [size=128]
>
> 01:08.0 Serial controller: Siig Inc CyberSerial (1-port) 16550 (prog-if 02 [16550])
> Subsystem: Siig Inc CyberSerial (1-port) 16550
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at ff78 [size=8]
> Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 1
> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
> Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
>
> 01:0c.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U/UW/D / AIC-7881U
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64 (2000ns min, 2000ns max), cache line size 08
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at fe00 [disabled] [size=256]
> Region 1: Memory at fdfff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Expansion ROM at fdfe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
>
> ========================================================
> lspci -vvv on a bad kernel (first seen on 2.4.18-17.8.0)
> ========================================================
>
> 00:00.0 Class 0600: 1179:0601 (rev 11)
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0, cache line size 08
>
> 00:02.0 Class 0607: 1179:060a (rev 07)
> Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: Memory at 10000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=14, subordinate=14, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 00:02.1 Class 0607: 1179:060a (rev 07)
> Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: Memory at 10001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=15, subordinate=15, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000 [disabled]
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003 [disabled]
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
> 00:03.0 Class 0601: 1179:0606 (rev 02)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>
> 00:04.0 Class 0300: 102c:00e0 (rev 05)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at fe000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
> Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]
>
> 00:06.0 Class 0604: 1179:0605 (rev 04)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=13, sec-latency=0
> I/O behind bridge: 00000000-00000fff
> Memory behind bridge: 00000000-000fffff
> Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000-000fffff
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
>
> 01:01.0 Class 0607: 1179:0603 (rev 04)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at <unassigned> (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=01, secondary=12, subordinate=12, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 01:01.1 Class 0607: 1179:0603 (rev 04)
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Region 0: Memory at <unassigned> (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=01, secondary=13, subordinate=13, sec-latency=0
> Memory window 0: 00000000-00000000
> Memory window 1: 00000000-00000000
> I/O window 0: 00000000-00000003
> I/O window 1: 00000000-00000003
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite-
>
> 01:04.0 Class 0100: 1022:2020 (rev 10)
> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64 (1000ns min, 10000ns max)
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at <ignored> [size=128]
>
> 01:08.0 Class 0700: 131f:2000 (prog-if 02)
> Subsystem: 131f:2000
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at <ignored> [size=8]
> Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 1
> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
> Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
>
> 01:0c.0 Class 0100: 9004:8178
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64 (2000ns min, 2000ns max), cache line size 08
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at <ignored> [size=256]
> Region 1: Memory at <ignored> (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Expansion ROM at fdfe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
>
>
> =====
> lsmod
> =====
>
> Module Size Used by Not tainted
> smbfs 39264 1 (autoclean)
> ide-cd 31432 0 (autoclean)
> cdrom 30976 0 (autoclean) [ide-cd]
> mousedev 5236 1 (autoclean)
> input 5664 0 (autoclean) [mousedev]
> parport_pc 17604 1 (autoclean)
> lp 8612 0 (autoclean)
> parport 33984 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
> ne 7696 1
> 8390 7788 0 [ne]
> ipt_REJECT 3448 2 (autoclean)
> iptable_filter 2316 1 (autoclean)
> ip_tables 14456 2 [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
> cs4232 5092 0
> ad1848 26124 0 [cs4232]
> uart401 8068 0 [cs4232]
> sound 70196 0 [cs4232 ad1848 uart401]
> soundcore 6180 5 [sound]
> ext3 64224 8
> jbd 48180 8 [ext3]
> tmscsim 33856 1
> aic7xxx 127380 2
> sd_mod 13136 6
> scsi_mod 102152 3 [tmscsim aic7xxx sd_mod]
>

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.051 / U:1.632 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site