SubjectRe: [patch] sched-2.5.59-A2
> yes, but eg. in the idle-rebalance case we are more agressive at moving
> tasks across SMP CPUs. We could perhaps do a similar ->nr_balanced logic
> to do this 'agressive' balancing even if not triggered from the
> CPU-will-be-idle path. Ie. _perhaps_ the SMP balancer could become a bit
> more agressive.

Do you think it's worth looking at the initial load-balance code for
standard SMP?

> ie. SMP is just the first level in the cache-hierarchy, NUMA is the second
> level. (lets hope we dont have to deal with a third caching level anytime
> soon - although that could as well happen once SMT CPUs start doing NUMA.)

We have those already (IBM x440) ;-) That's one of the reasons why I prefer
the pools concept I posted at the weekend over just "nodes". Also, there
are NUMA machines where nodes are not all equidistant ... that can be
thought of as multi-level too.

> There's no real reason to do balancing in a different way on each level -
> the weight might be different, but the core logic should be synced up.
> (one thing that is indeed different for the NUMA step is locality of
> uncached memory.)

Right, the current model should work fine, it just needs generalising out
a bit.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.130 / U:0.572 seconds]