SubjectRe: [patch] sched-2.5.59-A2

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Erich Focht wrote:

> Could you please explain your idea? As far as I understand, the SMP
> balancer (pre-NUMA) tries a global rebalance at each call. Maybe you
> mean something different...

yes, but eg. in the idle-rebalance case we are more agressive at moving
tasks across SMP CPUs. We could perhaps do a similar ->nr_balanced logic
to do this 'agressive' balancing even if not triggered from the
CPU-will-be-idle path. Ie. _perhaps_ the SMP balancer could become a bit
more agressive.

ie. SMP is just the first level in the cache-hierarchy, NUMA is the second
level. (lets hope we dont have to deal with a third caching level anytime
soon - although that could as well happen once SMT CPUs start doing NUMA.)
There's no real reason to do balancing in a different way on each level -
the weight might be different, but the core logic should be synced up.
(one thing that is indeed different for the NUMA step is locality of
uncached memory.)

> > kernelbench is the kind of benchmark that is most sensitive to over-eager
> > global balancing, and since the 2.5.59 ->nr_balanced logic produced the
> > best results, it clearly shows it's not over-eager. hackbench is one that
> > is quite sensitive to under-balancing. Ie. trying to maximize both will
> > lead us to a good balance.
>
> Yes! Actually the currently implemented nr_balanced logic is pretty
> dumb: the counter reaches the cross-node balance threshold after a
> certain number of calls to intra-node lb, no matter whether these were
> successfull or not. I'd like to try incrementing the counter only on
> unsuccessfull load balances, this would give a clear priority to
> intra-node balancing and a clear and controllable delay for cross-node
> balancing. A tiny patch for this (for 2.5.59) is attached. As the name
> nr_balanced would be misleading for this kind of usage, I renamed it to
> nr_lb_failed.

indeed this approach makes much more sense than the simple ->nr_balanced
counter. A similar approach makes sense on the SMP level as well: if the
current 'busy' rebalancer fails to get a new task, we can try the current
'idle' rebalancer. Ie. a CPU going idle would do the less intrusive
rebalancing first.

have you experimented with making the counter limit == 1 actually? Ie.
immediately trying to do a global balancing once the less intrusive
balancing fails?

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.318 / U:0.084 seconds]