SubjectRe: /dev/initctl
Date
In article <20030120223459.57535.qmail@web21512.mail.yahoo.com>,
Jim Holliaoke <jholliaoke@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> When I try to boot my linux system using a rescue
>disk, login as root, mount my root filesystem,
>pivot_root to it and try to execute '/sbin/init', I
>get an error that says 'error opening/writing control
>channel /dev/initctl'. I understand that /dev/initctl
>is a FIFO that used to pass messages to init and the
>error message is probably caused by the absence of the
>running process on the other end to pick up the
>message, but isn't this the feat that an initrd
>achieves with no special effort? Am I understanding
>this right or is executing init from an interactive
>shell prohibited?

Exactly, you cannot execute init from a shell. Init *must* have
process-id #1. If your shell is PID #1, try exec /sbin/init

If init isn't PID #1, it behaves like 'telinit'.

Mike.
--
They all laughed when I said I wanted to build a joke-telling machine.
Well, I showed them! Nobody's laughing *now*! -- acesteves@clix.pt