    SubjectRe: ANN: LKMB (Linux Kernel Module Builder) version 0.1.16
    > > It is a bug that the current Makefile can't compile modules in an
    > > object directory different from the source directory. This means the
    > > module source tree can't be mounted read-only (again, without
    > > resorting to symlinks).
    >
    > make -C path/to/kernel/src SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
    > So simple when you know the trick. That what I have documented

    no, this doesn't work when you have the source and object files _of
    the module_ in separate directories. You'd have to run make in the
    object directory, but there seems no way to tell it where the source
    is. (At least I have not found any.)

    The reason to do this is compiling one module for different kernel
    configurations as well as compiling one kernel for different
    configurations. I.e. I want to have a tree like this:

    first the kernel:

    /usr/src/linux/2.5.99/ this is directory X
    /var/obj/linux/2.5.99/boxa here is X compiled for boxa
    /var/obj/linux/2.5.99/boxb here is X compiled for boxb

    (this doesn't work either at the moment, another bug/missing feature...)

    then the external module:

    /usr/src/cipe this is directory Y
    /var/obj/cipe/2.5.99/boxa here is Y compiled against X for boxa
    /var/obj/cipe/2.5.99/boxb here is Y compiled against X for boxb

    and /usr/src might be mounted read-only.

    Olaf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.024 / U:1.512 seconds]