    SubjectRe: Is the BitKeeper network protocol documented?
    David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com> said:
    > On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:26:14 -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > >There is nothing in the GPL which requires anyone to make their >changes
    > >available to you the minute they make them. The fact that you have
    > >access to the changes within an hour of when they are made far exceeds
    > the requirements in the GPL, which only require that the source code be
    > >made available if you distribute the OBJECT CODE OR EXECUTABLE.

    > I think you're ignoring the way the GPL defines the "source code".
    > The GPL defines the "source code" as the preferred form for modifying
    > the program. If the preferred form of a work for purposes of
    > modifying it is live access to a BK repository, then that's the
    > "source code" for GPL purposes.

    You are a lawyer working in this area, and so can cite chapter and verse
    where this definition was made (the GPL text is rather vague)?

    Anyway, Andreas Dilger is (curiously) right AFAIU: Linus has _never_
    distributed a binary to anybody AFAIK, so he is under no obligation by the
    GPL do give out any form of source. Furthermore, as he is (in the editor
    sense at least) copyright holder for the whole source, he isn't bound by
    the GPL in any case. ;-)

    IANAL, etc.