SubjectRe: UDMA 133 on a 40 pin cable
On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 22:00, Lionel Bouton wrote:
> I'm wondering some things about IDE 40/80 pin cables since some time ago :
> - somehow the circuitry can make the difference between 40 and 80 pin
> (probably some pins are shorted or not by the cables or some
> cable-type-dependent impedance between wires is mesured) and set a bit
> for us to use.
> - most probably the same circuitry can't verify the length of the cables
> or their overall quality but I'm unsure.
>
> #1 How is the 40/80 pin detection done at the hardware level ?
> #2 Are there any other cable-quality hardware tests done by the chipsets
> ? How ?

Oh god. Andre described this one as needing a "two beer" explanation.
I'd recommend stronger drinks however.

> I've encountered a barebone design (Mocha P4, uses 2.5" drives) where
> the IDE cable was 40-pin but :
> - has a single drive connector instead of the common two,
> - its length is only around 10 or 15 cm.
> A buyer contacted me for SiS IDE driver directions on this platform and
> confirmed this at least for his purchase.
>
> #3 Is the above cable electrically able to sustain 66+ UDMA transfers
> (could I hack a driver in order to bypass the 80pin cable detection and
> make it work properly) ?

It is possible to do this yes. Other vendors do it as well. Careful
cable choice lets you meet the electrical requirements other ways in
certain situations.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.054 / U:3.952 seconds]