SubjectRe: [RFC] top-level config menu dependencies
> []
> > While converting the way submenus appear in menuconfig depending on
> > their main, parent config option, I stumbled upon certain subsystems
> > (such as MTD or IrDA) that should clearly have an on/off switch directly
> > in the main menu so that one doesn't have to enter the corresponding
> > submenus to even see if they're enabled or disabled.
> >
> > Since the new kernel configurator would have no problems with such
> > a setup, I'm posting this RFC to get the general opinion on whether
> > this should be carried on with. I'm willing to create and send in
> > the patches.
> While all config programs should be able to handle this, it might look a
> bit strange. Especially the split view of xconfig relies a bit on the
> current organisation of the config data.
> My idea to handle this would be to turn e.g.:
> menu "Memory Technology Devices (MTD)"
> config MTD
> tristate "Memory Technology Device (MTD) support"
> into something like this:
> menuconfig MTD
> tristate "Memory Technology Device (MTD) support"
> This would give the front ends the most flexibility. The required
> changes are quite small, so it should be doable for 2.6. I'm not
> completely sure about the syntax yet, but above is the most likely
> version.

If I understand you correctly, what you are proposing is equivalent
to how the following currently works:

config MTD
tristate "Memory Technology Device (MTD) support"

menu "Memory Technology Device (MTD) support"
depends on MTD

It seems to me the infrastructure you've provided by kconfig
is completely sufficient -- it's the config frontends that would
require minor updates (xconfig mainly, menuconfig seems to be
working nicely -- at least with the setup I outlined above).

Tomas Szepe <>