    SubjectRe: ANN: LKMB (Linux Kernel Module Builder) version 0.1.16

    Wow! My first patch suggestion! Thanks.

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > > print MAKEFILE "CFLAGS = -I/usr/src/linux/include -O2 -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2\n\n";
    >
    > That's broken. you need to get the proper kernel CFLAGS, and you shouldn't
    > assume there's anything useful in /usr/src/linux.

    Ahah. What do you suggest me to do instead? The LKMB package needs to
    compile on every system it was intended to. It's still a source package
    that has to compile on any GNU system that has the Linux kernel headers.

    > Use "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build" as a default kernel directory, but
    > allow it to be overridden somehow from the command line. Then do something
    > like...
    >
    > make -C $(LINUXDIR) SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules
    >
    > ... to build your module. That way, all the kernel build stuff will be
    > correct; it'll be just as if you were in a normal subdirectory of the
    > kernel tree during a 'make modules' run.

    Do you mean I'll need a live Linux kernel to build the kernel module
    package?

    I'm not a big kbuild expert and it show.

    Regards,

    Shlomi Fish