    SubjectRe: any brand recomendation for a linux laptop ?
    Not the cheapest, but certainly one of the best is the IBM Thinkpad

    I've got an A20p, A21p and A31p and have got all hardware on those
    models working nicely; ACPI/Power management being the only problem
    area, although I'm happy with my setup.

    And if you want a good used a21p, let me know ;)

    Andrew Walrond

    jw schultz wrote:
    > On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:00:45AM +0100, Nicolas Turro wrote:

    >>Hi,
    >>I am software engineer at a french research institute, in charge of the linux
    >>support on about 600 computers. I am looking for laptops whith linux
    >>support/certification. I couln't find any recent laptop model on your
    >>certification page. Would you recomend me any brand of computer ?
    >>We curently buy Compaq Evos laptops, but enabling linux on those laptops
    >>is terrible :
    >>- - power management seems to be ACPI only (which linux barely supports)
    >>- - sound is hard or impossible to setup correctly.
    >>
    >>Any help/advice would be apreciated.
    >

    > You will get almost as many different answers as responses
    > to this question. Frankly, given the way things are i'm not
    > sure it is safe to recommend any brand per se. For a given
    > brand the hardware will be different in each model and may
    > even differ between production runs of the same model.
    >
    > I've been happy with my Sony Vaio F160 but some people have
    > reported problems with the F series. Most major brands have
    > at least one model that has caused problems. Dell and
    > Compaq are notorious and yet there are many people have
    > gotten them to work.
    >
    > The best thing i can recommend is to go to
    > http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/, Read the HOWTOs, and
    > finally find some models you like and check to see how
    > others have fared with them.
    >
    > Alternatively you could buy a laptop with linux already
    > installed. Unfortunately that is often more expensive than
    > buying one with MS-flavor-of-the-month installed and
    > reformatting.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.027 / U:31.912 seconds]