SubjectRe: any brand recomendation for a linux laptop ?
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:00:45AM +0100, Nicolas Turro wrote:

> Hi,
> I am software engineer at a french research institute, in charge of the linux
> support on about 600 computers. I am looking for laptops whith linux
> support/certification. I couln't find any recent laptop model on your
> certification page. Would you recomend me any brand of computer ?
> We curently buy Compaq Evos laptops, but enabling linux on those laptops
> is terrible :
> - - power management seems to be ACPI only (which linux barely supports)
> - - sound is hard or impossible to setup correctly.
>
> Any help/advice would be apreciated.

You will get almost as many different answers as responses
to this question. Frankly, given the way things are i'm not
sure it is safe to recommend any brand per se. For a given
brand the hardware will be different in each model and may
even differ between production runs of the same model.

I've been happy with my Sony Vaio F160 but some people have
reported problems with the F series. Most major brands have
at least one model that has caused problems. Dell and
Compaq are notorious and yet there are many people have
gotten them to work.

The best thing i can recommend is to go to
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/, Read the HOWTOs, and
finally find some models you like and check to see how
others have fared with them.

Alternatively you could buy a laptop with linux already
installed. Unfortunately that is often more expensive than
buying one with MS-flavor-of-the-month installed and
reformatting.