SubjectRe: VIA C3 and random SIGTRAP or segfault

Thanks, I'll check that out, though I'm a bit sceptical since the
crashes occur randomly not predictably, and that makes me feel it's
not because of an unimplemented instruction.

Also what about trace/breakpoint trap? Can that be also generated by
an illegal instruction?

Thanks,
Miklos

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:29:01AM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> >
> > I just bought a VIA C3 866 processor, and under very special
> > circumstances some programs (e.g. mplayer, xmms) randomly crash with
> > trace/breakpoint trap or segmentation fault. Otherwise the system
> > seems stable even under high load.
>
> Be sure that those programs aren't compiled for 686. The C3 lacks
> cmov, so it'll segfault when it hits that opcode. You can confirm
> this by running it under gdb, and disassembling where it segv's to.
> This is still a common problem thats biting some people. The debian
> folks had a broken libssl for months up until recently.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.047 / U:0.732 seconds]