    SubjectRe: IPMI
    On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:23:07 +1100
    Paul Mackerras <> wrote:

    > > This document describes how to use the IPMI driver for Linux. If you
    > > are not familiar with IPMI itself, see the web site at
    > > IPMI is a big
    > > subject and I can't cover it all here!

    I don't want to start a license flamewar, by any means, but while looking
    through that page I noticed this:

    "Adopters Agreement:

    Before implementing the IPMI, IPMB or ICMB specifications, a royalty-free
    reciprocal patent license must be signed."

    The agreement itself (at
    seems benign (where 'seems' means 'I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV'),
    but this bit looks a little iffy:

    | Adopter hereby grants to the Promoters and to Fellow Adopters, and the
    | Promoters hereby grant to Adopter, a nonexclusive, royalty-free,
    | nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, worldwide
    | license under its Necessary Claims to make, have made, use, import,
    | offer to sell and sell products which comply with the Specification

    How does the "nontransferable, nonsublicensable" bit affect Linux? I presume
    somebody signed this thing and sent it to Intel, but wouldn't it only apply to
    the individual who signed it, as Linux developers aren't exactly a legal
    entity? The way I read it, it would mean that everybody who wants to
    distribute a kernel containing IPMI would each need to sign the agreement...

    Much as I hate to say it, have you had a GPL-aware lawyer look at this?

    Sorry for the noise,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:58.988 seconds]