SubjectRe: SMBALERT# thermal sensor signal for Intel PII in the kernel ?
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 03:43:41PM +0100, Florent CHANTRET wrote:
> Hi geeks and guru's ;o)
>
> But, I've a problem with my laptop Sony VAIO powered by a bugged as hell
> Intel PII Celeron (lot of customers from Sony have the same problem and
> there is no support from this fuckin' company, nor from Intel, and I don't
> think contacting Micro$$$$oft is the good thing to do).
>
> My laptop randomly shutdown due to a bug in the thermal sensor of the PII
> sending a SMBALERT# signal. There is no solution for NT fuckin' OS (only a
> trick on "WinDaube" 98 (french expression for WinShit ;o))
>
> Here is the Intel stuff about the bug :
> http://cipsa.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/Intel_Mobile_Temp-Prob.pdf
> Here is the fix on fuckin' Windows 98 (as a curiosity) :
> http://cipsa.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~zwerger/Vaio/indexeng.htm
>
> So there is a software way to fix this hardware bug.
>
> So I've build a 2.4.20 kernel without all the APM,ACPI, PM at boot, CPU
> Idle and "Machine Check Exception" but I've still the problem. The kernel
> still answer to an SMBALERT# which cause the machine to shutdown.
>
> So, before asking in the ML, I've searched on Google and Google Groups
> without success (there is quite nothing about SMBALERT#).
>
> I've grepped all the 2.4.20 source code but there is anywhere the presence
> of SMBALERT# in a comment. I've noticed some codes about SMBus (which I
> think include the SMBALERT functionnality) but I don't know if I can
> deactivate SMBus in the kernel config and if it is safe to do it.
>
> There is several functions in the kernel for SMBus so if I must patch the
> code to deactivate this precise signal, any help would be appreciated ;o)
>
> If I can fix it, I will try to convert all the consumers of the F-serie VAIO
> bugged to Linux ;o)
>
> Thanks for your answer and sorry if this is not the good place to post but
> I've searched a lot before. I don't want to erase Linux to put a "Windaube
> 98" help help help ;o)

You don't even state which model you have. Which limits my
ability to comment. I know i've had no problem with mine.

The best things for you to do is check the specific model
info from linux-on-laptops.com and search, then ask, on the
linux-sony list http://returntonature.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-sony

Good luck.