SubjectUnable to boot off kernel built on different machine
I am having the strange problem (that I suspect is embarrassingly simple)
where I can only boot a kernel built on the same machine. For example
my setup looks like:

* machine 'A' (RH 8.0 P4 system):
- contains a 2.5 kernel tree on an exported NFS drive
- this is the machine where I do all my real work, and
do not want to run test kernels on
* machine 'B' (RH 8.0 P3 system):
- mounts the kernel tree on 'A' to make it easy to
install new kernels on for testing

If I 'make clean', 'make', install kernel and rerun lilo from the kernel
tree from 'B' then I can boot the new kernel with no issues.

If I 'make clean' and 'make' from the kernel tree from 'A' and then install
from 'B' then I get a boot failure when the kernel attempts to mount the
root partition with an error message complaining "LABEL=/" is not valid.

This has got to be something really basic.

--rustyl

Here is my lilo.conf ==>

prompt
timeout=50
default=linux-orig
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/hack
label=hack
read-only
append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp
label=linux-orig
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img
read-only
append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.043 / U:2.456 seconds]