SubjectRe: system freezes when using udma on promise pdc20268
Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

>I experience cold freezes of my new system reproducably (can still
>toggle numlock, but on alt+sysrq+t it freezes completely, watchdog_nmi=1
>does not help so no printout over serial console) when I enable any
>udma mode >0 using the old or new pdc202xx driver.
>However the system seems to work stably (as far I can tell) when using
>the mdma0 or pio modes.
>The setup is asus a7v8x with sound/ide/firewire onboard. Two 180GB WDC
>WD1800JB-00DUA0 on the primary and secondary internal VIA controller and
>3 drives on two pdc20268, where the third hard disk is on the secondary
>controller (I explain later why!). All harddisk are jumpered to be
Are you stating this correctly. You've got 2 drives on the PDC20268
on a single ide chain jumpered as masters? You should have one jumpered
as a master and a as a slave. A single ide chain can have only one master.

There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Sam Flory <>