SubjectRe: Performance problems with NFS under 2.4.20
Date
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> writes:

> That is quite deliberate.
>
> open() is supposed to generate an RPC call in order to ensure that
> cached attributes (and hence cached data) are still valid (this is
> part of what is known as NFS 'close-to-open' cache consistency).

Ah, right.

> If you are certain that you will never access the same file/directory
> from 2 different machines, you can try to mount with the 'nocto' mount
> option.

Thanks; "notco" fixes the problem.

I have several machines that reads the same files/directories, but
only one machine that writes to the directories. Will that be OK?

(The reason I noticed this at all is that out PHP-based web servers
started generating much internal network traffic after the upgrade.
The PHP directories are NFS-mounted, and due to the number of PHP
library files opened by each web access, the NFS traffic was about 10
times as high as the HTTP traffic. :-/)