    SubjectRe: UnitedLinux violating GPL?

    On Sat, Jan 11, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > > Great! The "complete source code" for the kernel does include each
    > > and every single patch applied since linux-0.0.1? Guess I'll have to
    > > complain to a certain Torvalds then...
    > > Don't be silly. "Complete source code" means the source needed to
    > > rebuild the binary, nothing more. If that is a mangled version derived
    > > from some other source, so be it. You are explicitly allowed to
    > > distribute changed versions, but only under GPL. [IANAL etc, so...]
    > I disagree. A preprocessed source file with all the variables renamed to
    > random strings would suffice to rebuild the binary, and is obviously not
    > acceptable -- being able to rebuild the binary is not the only criterion.
    > "The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work
    > for making modifications to it."
    > Note that the GPL doesn't say you have to give it in the preferred form for
    > _building_ it, but the preferred form for _modifying_ it.
    > In the opinion of many devlopers, the preferred form of the Linux kernel for
    > maintaining it is a set of individual patches against the closest
    > 'official' release, and not a tarball containing already-modified code.

    So you are saying that Alan Cox is violating the GPL since he releases his
    -ac kernels only as one single monolithic patch against the vanilla tree,
    not as individual patches (like Andrea Arcangeli does for example)?

    I think the motivation for this ridiculous thread is very obvious.

    > dwmw2
    Hubert Mantel Goodbye, dots... /\\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.022 / U:50.724 seconds]