    SubjectRe: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?
    commence  Rob Wilkens quotation:

    > On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 17:18, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
    >> These are usually error conditions. If you inline them, you will have
    >> to jump *over* them as part of the normal code path. You don't save
    > You're wrong. You wouldn't have to jump over them any more than you
    > have to jump over the "goto" statement. They would be where the goto
    > statement is. Instead of the goto you would have the function.

    He said the *normal* path. Jumping to error code is rarely a normal
    path. By replacing the gotos with inlined functions, you turn the
    fast path into a bunch of jumps over duplicated error code, and the
    error path into a straight line.

    >> any instructions, and you end up with a kernel which has much more
    >> duplicated code and thus thrashes the cache more. It also makes the
    > If that argument was taken to it's logical conclusion (and I did, in my
    > mind just now), no one should add any code the grows the kernel at all.

    The interesting thing about taking arguments to their logical
    conclusion is that it rarely makes any sense to do so.

    / |
    [|] Sean Neakums | Questions are a burden to others;
    [|] <> | answers a prison for oneself.
    \ |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.037 / U:0.316 seconds]