SubjectRe: any chance of 2.6.0-test*?
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 05:19:08PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> Most of the drivers still don't build either.

or still lack 2.4 fixes.

> - The stuff that is destined for the bitbucket is marked in Config and people
> agree it should go

What's happening with the OSS drivers ?
I'm still carrying a few hundred KB of changes from 2.4 for those.
I'm not going to spent a day splitting them up, commenting them and pushing
to Linus if we're going to be dropping various drivers.

> - It passes Cerberus uniprocessor and smp with/without pre-empt

I think this should wait until at least some more of the 2.4 changes
come forward. Most of those are security issues and the likes, but there
are a few driver corner cases too.

> Otherwise everyone wil rapidly decide that ".0-pre" means ".0 as in Windows"
> at which point you've just destroyed your testing base.

agreed.

> Given all the new stuff should be in, I'd like to see a Linus the meanie
> round of updating for a while which is simply about getting all the 2.4 fixes
> and the 2.5 driver compile bugs nailed, and if it doesn't fix a compile bug
> or a logic bug it doesn't go in.

Seconded.

> No more "ISAPnP TNG" and module rewrites please

Absolutly. Lets try and get 2.6 out the door _this_ year.

Dave