    SubjectRe: clean before or after dep?
    Sam Ravnborg wrote:

    > With the 2.5 kernel, if make clean or make mrproper is ever _required_
    > I would say you had triggered an error in the kernel build system.
    > > - theory: a clean should be done after a failing build so that
    > > a subsequent build won't use the results of the failing build.
    > Should not be needed with the build system in the 2.5 kernel.

    Make clean is nice to have for a couple of occations:

    1. Before making a tar.bz2 of the tree as a backup. Why
    waste space on .o files?
    A backup is useful for a number of reasons, such as
    before testing a mix of patches that might
    interferre badly. Or even patches for another version.
    Getting the tree again takes time.

    2. The pc hardware clock screwed up again and timestamps
    are spread all over past and future :-( Make clean time.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.022 / U:11.280 seconds]