    SubjectRe: LMbench2.0 results
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 19:40, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > We need to find some way of making vm_enough_memory not call get_page_state
    > > so often. One way of doing that might be to make get_page_state dump
    > > its latest result into a global copy, and make vm_enough_memory()
    > > only get_page_state once per N invokations. A speed/accuracy tradeoff there.
    > Unless the error always falls on the same side the accuracy tradeoff is
    > fatal to the entire scheme of things. Sorting out the use of
    > get_page_state is worth doing if that is the bottleneck, and
    > snapshooting such that we only look at it if we might be close to the
    > limit would work, but we'd need to know when the limit had shifted too
    > much

    It could be that the cost is only present on the IBM whackomatics,
    so they can twiddle the /proc setting and we can all be happy.
    Certainly I did not see any problems on the quad.

    Does "heuristic" overcommit handling need so much accuracy?
    Perhaps we can push some of the cost over into mode 2 somehow.

    Or we could turn it the other way up and, in __add_to_page_cache(),

    if (overcommit_mode == anal)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.023 / U:4.128 seconds]