SubjectRe: ide drive dying?
Just for the sake of the argument...

jbradford@dial.pipex.com writes:

>> BTW
>> I had a double disk crash (same symptoms as in this thread) in a
>> school's RAID5 with four Fujitsu MPG3204AT-EF (the ones with
>> gel-lager, silent and reliable we hoped) last week... The shop for
>> which I work from time to time got 71 disks of this type back (sold
>> over the last 1.5 years). We switched to them after the "IBM"
>> disaster. Maybe a "misdecision" ;-) What shall we sell safely,
>> now...? MAXTOR?
>
> I have *never* lost data to a Maxtor disk. I have had IBM, Fujitsu,
> Western Digital, and DEC drives all fail on me before.
>
> It's dissapointing that Maxtor are reducing their warranty from 3
> years to 1 year, but on the other hand, I've never needed it at all.

And with good reason, it seems (the warranty reduction) - my Maxtor
6L060J3 (or whatever, the 7200rpm 60G ATA-100) died after approx. 8
weeks (bad sectors); warranty replacement; replacement dies after
approx. 16 weeks (bad sectors); I'm now on the 2nd replacement. Oh
joy.

I have to say that I have a few more (~ 5) Maxtor drives running which
didn't cause any trouble... so far.

Yes, I did switch to Maxtor because of excessive outages of IBM drives
(DeathStar), why do you ask?

So long,
Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear
word processor."