    SubjectRe: (fwd) Re: [RFC] mount flag "direct"
    "Anton Altaparmakov wrote:"
    > [DanP]
    > >He was going to go hack the vfs, so in his mind, practical issues of how the
    > >vfs works now aren't an obstacle. The only mistake he's making is seriously
    > >underestimating how much effort is required to learn enough to do this kind
    > >of surgery and have a remote chance that the patient will survive.
    > Ok so he plans to rewrite the whole I/O subsystem starting from block up to
    > FS drivers and VFS. Great. See him again in 10 years... And his changes

    I've had a look now. I concur that e2fs at least is full of assumptions
    that it has various different sorts of metadata in memory at all times.
    I can't rewrite that, or even add a "warning will robinson" callback to
    vfs, as I intended. What I can do, I think, is ..

    .. simply do a dput of the fs root directory from time to time, from
    vfs - whenever I think it is appropriate. As far as I can see from my
    quick look that may cause the dcache path off that to be GC'ed. And
    that may be enough to do a few experiments for O_DIRDIRECT.

    Is that (approx) correct?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.033 / U:7.632 seconds]