SubjectRe: [patch] Version 2 of the Linux IPMI driver

> The lanana guy is not available for a while, so I'm not getting a device
> number in the near future, but I think it's ready for the 2.5 release.
> Does this need more time, or is it ready for inclusion?

I don't think you should be using a device number at all. ioctl is Evil
(TM) and it's perfectly possible to write an IPMI driver which uses
neither an ioctl nor a chaacter device. Voila:

http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/willy/patches/bmc.diff

yes, it was stupid to call it BMC instead of IPMI. i was handed a pile
of junk that'd been half-heartedly ported from windows. however, the
principle is sound, you don't need ioctl, nor a character device.