SubjectRe: ide drive dying?
Date
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:42, Mike Dresser wrote:

> > > At current drive density and reliabilities - raid. Software raid setups
> > > are so cheap there is little point not running RAID on IDE nowdays
> > >
> > Well, I was looking more on the side of the Windows PC's here at the
> > office, it's a bit expensive to start running raid on those.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Well, I haven't examined this empirically, but as the quantity of disk
> drives in an organization continues increasing, so does the probability
> of disk failure, any one of which can mean lost time/money, etc. Drive
> reliability is likely not increasing at the same rate that density is,
> so the likelihood of lost data is probably increasing. Since LAN speeds
> continue to increase, it might start making sense now in clusters of
> more than a few machines to make each machine less reliant on its own
> disk storage (to the point of not at all other than big swap space) and
> use the LAN more. On the LAN put the money into a quality shared
> resource - a heavy duty UPS'd, etc. RAID system. Especially if a RAID
> system is as easy to build/maintain/use as Alan alludes to (don't know -
> never built one).

A RAID array isn't a universal solution to all disk related problems, though, is it? I mean, we were talking about buggy firmware earlier on in this thread - if a drive which is part of an array returns corrupted data, without acknowledging it, then you'll read corrupted data from the RAID array. Also, an array of unreliable drives doesn't make a reliable array.

Now that the Smart Suite S.M.A.R.T. applications are unmaintained, would there be any chance of implementing S.M.A.R.T. in to the kernel IDE code? I know the IDE code is already a nightmare, but it would be a nice feature. S.M.A.R.T. is terribly under used at the moment - most people don't even know what it is. Infact, I could be wrong, but isn't a subset of S.M.A.R.T. implemented on modern SCSI disks, too?

Monitoring of any kind is always a nice feature to have...

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.062 / U:0.068 seconds]