SubjectRe: [patch] ptrace-fix-2.5.33-A1
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 12:25:32AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > this splitup of the lists makes it possible for the debugger to do a wait4
> > > that will get events from the debugged task, and for the debugged task to
> > > also be available to the real parent.
> >
> > Great. I'm not exactly sure on how this works right now: sys_wait4 only
> > iterates over ->children, with the exception of the special code in
> > TASK_ZOMBIE. I'm not quite sure when events from a traced process get
> > to the normal parent of that process, or when they're supposed to.
>
> i'm not sure about this either. What happens if an (untraced) parent has
> traced and untraced children, and does a wait4. Would it confuse the
> debugger if the parent could get one of the traced tasks as a result in
> wait4? And how does the debugger solve this problem?

Not a problem. The parent never gets an event that is not first
reported to the debugger, via the hook in sys_wait4... A debugger that
runs other processes has to play some games with wait loops in order to
manage its children and its debugees, but that's old news.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer