SubjectRE: Problem on a kernel driver(SuSE, SMP)
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Libershteyn, Vladimir wrote:

> > You are not too specific, which makes it hard to understand what may
> > be going wrong so I'll assume that you probably did a bad thing.
>
> I think I gave all the specific information
>

> > (1) You cannot sleep in an interrupt, which means you can't use
> > down_*() and friends inside an ISR.
>
> I DO NOT sleep in ISR, the up*() routine is inside the ISR, dut not down*()
> This is a standard use of the mechanism
>

> > (2) Wait queues should work fine from the 'user-side' of a driver,
> > but again, you cannot ever sleep in an interrupt service routine.
> > Look in ../linux/drivers/* for examples of code that works.
> >

> Again there is NO sleep in ISR, and I know that queues should work fine,
> but they don't, that why I have a problem, but problem only on
> SMP machine.
>
> > (3) You can't use any wait-queue or sleep on a semaphore while
> > holding a spin-lock or while the interrupts are disabled. You can
> > manage your own lock against re-entry in your procedure, but you
> > can't allow two tasks to try the same semaphore at (nearly) the
> > same time or you can dead-lock.
>
> I DO NOT hold any spinlocks, while use down_interruptible
>

> > (4) The fact that 'down' hangs means that there is nothing
> > that the CPU can do. This is direct evidence that you have the
> > interrupts disabled when down executes.
>
> To be more specific, here is a code:
> function when thread go to sleep, if data not ready

Snipped code.

How do you know that
up(&a->sem[enumerator]);
in the ISR and...
down_interruptible(&a->sem[enumerator]);
In axl_get_response...
... have the same value of 'enumerator', therefore the same
semaphore?

One comes from a modulus and another from indirection off from 'board
address'?

I think there is a bug there.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
The US military has given us many words, FUBAR, SNAFU, now ENRON.
Yes, top management were graduates of West Point and Annapolis.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:28    [W:0.265 / U:0.296 seconds]