    SubjectRe: v2.6 vs v3.0
    Date
    On Monday 30 September 2002 08:59, Michael Clark wrote:
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > On 09/30/02 21:05, Kevin Corry wrote:
    > > EVMS is now up-to-date and running on 2.5.39. You can get the latest
    > > kernel code from CVS (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=25076) or
    > > Bitkeepr (http://evms.bkbits.net/). There will be a new, full release
    > > (1.2) coming out this week.
    >
    > Seems you guys are the furthest ahead for a working logical volume manager
    > in 2.5. Does the EVMS team plan to send patches for 2.5 before the freeze?

    Yes. We may send something in for review this week.

    > It would be great to have EVMS in 2.5 (assuming the community approves of
    > EVMS going in). Seems to be very non-invasive touching almost no common
    > code.
    >
    > How far along are you with the clustering support (distributed locking of
    > cluster metadata and update notification, etc)? This is what i'm really
    > after.

    Right now we are talking about ways to use EVMS in a fail-over cluster
    environment. E.g.: You have four nodes in a cluster each attached to a large
    SAN device. EVMS will provide software fencing of the shared storage so each
    node in the cluster will have a private portion of the SAN. EVMS will allow
    reassigning of storage to other nodes in the cluster in the event of a node
    failure. This approach involves the smallest hit to the existing code and
    very little extra kernel code.

    More general cluster support, with support for fully-shared storage (and all
    of the necessary distributed locking and such) will come in 2003. This will
    obviously involve more in-depth code changes.

    --
    Kevin Corry
    corryk@us.ibm.com