    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native POSIX Thread Library 0.1
    Buddy Lumpkin wrote:

    >Sun introduced a new thread library in Solaris 8 that is 1:1, but it did
    >not replace the default N:M version, you have to link against
    >/usr/lib/lwp.
    >
    >http://supportforum.sun.com/freesolaris/techfaqs.html?techfaqs_2957
    >http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/1170/swol-1218-insidesolaris/
    >
    >I was at a USENIX BOF on threads in Boston year before last and Bill
    >Lewis was ranting about how the N:M model sucks. Christopher Provenzano
    >was right there and didn't seem to add any feelings one way or the
    >other.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >--Buddy

    I heard this a while ago, and talked with someone I knew who had inside
    information about this. According to that person, Sun will be switching
    the default threads library to 1:1 (It looks like from the document
    referenced below it is Solaris 9). In various benchmarks, sometimes M:N
    won, and sometimes 1:1 won, so performance was a wash. The main problem
    was that they could never get certain things to work "just right" under
    an M:N model, the complexity of M:N was just too high to be able to get
    it working 100% correctly. He didn't have specific details, though.

    Having implemented a threads package with prority inheritance, I expect
    that doing that with an M:N thread model will be extremely complex.
    With activations is possible, but that doesn't mean it's easy. It's
    hard enough with a 1:1 model. A scheduler with good "global" properties
    (for example, a scheduler that guaranteed time share to classes of
    threads that occur in different processes) would be difficult to
    implement properly, too.

    Complexity is the enemy of reliability. Even if the M:N model could get
    slightly better performance, it's going to be very hard to make it work
    100% correctly. I personally think the NPT is going in the right
    direction on this one.

    -Corey

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:2.083 / U:0.108 seconds]