SubjectRE: TCP Segmentation Offloading (TSO)
Date
What i am wondering is how come we only get a few percentage improvement in
throughput. Theoretically, since 64KB/1.5KB ~= 40, we should get a
throughput improvement of 40 times. That would be the case of udp
transmiting in one direction, in the case of tcp transmiting in one
direction (which is the one you have implemented), since in average we have
(at most) 1 ack every 2 data packets, we should theoretically obtain a
throughput improvement of (40+20)/(1+20) = 3 (this comes from: without tso
we send 40 packets and receive 20 acks, this is, the cpu processes 60
packets; whereas with tso we send 1 packet and receive 20 acks, this is, the
cpu processes 21 packets).
However, we don't see in the numbers obtained neither an increase of
throughput of 300% nor a decrease in cpu utilization of such magnitude. Is
there any other bottleneck in the system that prevents us to see the 300%
improvement? (i am assuming the card can do tso at wire speed)

thank you,

jordi

These improvement should be reflected in terms of cpu offloading and