SubjectRe: [BK-PATCH-2.5] Introduce new VFS inode cache lookup function
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 07:00:04PM +0100, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > Without such icache lookup functionality it is impossible to write inodes
> > via the VM page dirty code paths AFAICS. - The only alternative I can see
> > is to duplicate the whole icache private to NTFS so that I can perform the
> > lookup internally but I think that is silly considering the VFS already
> > keeps the inode cache...
>
> Wouldn't you be able to use something like the following code to do ilookup?
>
> Jan
>

> static int dont_set(struct inode *inode, void *data)
> {
> return -1;
> }
>
> struct inode *ilookup(struct super_block *sb, struct list_head *head,
> int (*test)(struct inode *, void *), void *data)
> {
> return iget5_locked(sb, head, test, dont_set, data);
> }

Sure! But that makes me want to throw up. Before I use that I would
implement my own ntfs inode cache alongside the VFS...

1) The iget5_locked + failing set() approach incurs an
alloc_inode()/destroy_inode() + a second find_inode() + second taking of
inode_lock, i.e. it is very expensive operation.

2) It will return inodes that are I_FREEING or I_CLEAR. I will have to
test for these in NTFS and then iput() to wash my hands clean of such
garbage. And if I am not mistaken, the iput() actually will BUG().

3) My proposed ilookup() is fast and small so I would prefer that. And it
would seem quite a few other FS would be only too happy to see something
along those lines appear.

4) If anything, as Christoph Hellwig suggested to me on #kernel,
iget{,5}_locked() should be reimplemented in terms of my ilookup()
implementation and not vice versa. (-:

I suspect that point 2) may actually be an existing race condition in the
VFS. If someone does iget() or iget_locked(), whatever, at just the right
time, they could end up with a very weird struct inode which would BUG()
on iput() if the code actually survives that long... - I haven't looked
into this closely so I may be missing something which doesn't allow these
BUG() scenarios to happen but from a cursory look around when I was
looking for a way to do the equivalent of ilookup() it would seem there
isn't...

Thanks for your comments. It is interesting to read everyone's
suggestions...

Best regards,

Anton
--
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cantab.net> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.openprojects.net